Re: xfig-doc has license problems in examples

Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 12:44:56AM +0200, Sunnanvind Briling Fenderson wrote:
> > A copyright license is a copyrightable work.
>
> Pleasse supply a reference backing up this assertion, please.

I don't know a reference off the top of my head, but there are some.

One case I recall involved a book of forms for wills.  Despite these
being legal documents, the copyright on them was upheld.

> If it said that modifications were allowed, that could be
> construed to mean that you could modify the license on a
> GPLed work to something other than the GPL.

The real fear is that someone could change the text in various ways
and continue to call it the GPL.