Re: xfig-doc has license problems in examples

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 10:32:47PM +0200, Sunnanvind Briling Fenderson wrote:
> Sorry, but the even the GPL itself (meaning the license text) isn't
> DFSG-free, it's verbatim copying only.

I think you're confused.

Copyright law does not apply to copyright licenses the way it applies
to copyrightable works.

Anyone is free to take the text of the GPL and modify it for their own
use -- in contexts where they own the copyright.  It's illegal to change
the license and pretend that the changed license applies to what was
originally liccensed -- unless you're the copyright holder.

The DFSG only matters for the licensed material, we already have all
the permissions we need to deal with the license.

--
Raul