Re: Licence for free ttf fonts - open source enough?

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 11:00:25PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> of course it is, but people do it all the time.  To code, to art, to
> practically anything.  "Hey I got this off the Net it must be free".
>
> My point was that we have a policy requiring the copyright to be included in a
> known place.  Not all dists follow this and not all packagers for them do a
> good job of it.  Beyond that file sharing is quite common and people do not
> often give the copyright with the work.

I don't think encouraging digital watermarks is a necessary strategy.

Every font file format with which I am familiar permits inclusion of
copyright data.  Even simple ones like BDF, which, being capable of
representing only bitmaps, you can't assert copyright on anyway.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Communism is just one step on the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     long road from capitalism to