Re: Licence for free ttf fonts - open source enough?

On 13-Oct-2001 Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 02:23:54PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
>> The problem is that it is hard to associate a name to a font.  In Debian we
>> have the copyright file, but elsewhere there is no such requirement.  This
>> is
>> why digital artworks often have the name signed in a way that makes removing
>> it
>> likely to mar the art as well as watermarking.
>
> Er, AIUI, entirely removing copyright notices from a work is infringment
> under U.S. copyright law.

of course it is, but people do it all the time.  To code, to art, to
practically anything.  "Hey I got this off the Net it must be free".

My point was that we have a policy requiring the copyright to be included in a
known place.  Not all dists follow this and not all packagers for them do a
good job of it.  Beyond that file sharing is quite common and people do not
often give the copyright with the work.