Re: tomcat.deb is illegal in debian

begin  Kevin A. Burton  quotation:
> Nick Moffitt <nick@zork.net> writes:
> > begin  Kevin A. Burton  quotation:
> > > If the FSF site is running Debian/GNU linux with BSD software I
> > > don't see any problem...
> >
> > 	I believe you misunderstand the GPL.
>
> ... well you can't just make a statement like that without
> explaining *how* I misunderstand the GPL...
>
> ??? HOW do I misunderstand the GPL?

 From the GPL, at the end of section 2:

    In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the
    Program with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on
    a volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring the
    other work under the scope of this License.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation says:

    Mere aggregation of two programs means putting them side by side
    on the same CD-ROM or hard disk. We use this term in the case
    where they are separate programs, not parts of a single program.
    In this case, if one of the programs is covered by the GPL, it has
    no effect on the other program.

    Combining two modules means connecting them together so that they
    form a single larger program. If either part is covered by the
    GPL, the whole combination must also be released under the GPL--if
    you can't, or won't, do that, you may not combine them.

If you have any further questions, please consult the rest of that
FAQ.

--
"The only thing is certain: Russian petty computer hooligans are very
slovenly, while FBI agents are very persistent in hunting them." --Pravda