Re: New licence for cryto++ code-base

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 07:26:19AM -0800, Stephen Zander wrote:
>     >> haval.cpp - Copyright 1992 Yuliang Zheng.
>     >> idea.cpp - Copyright 1992 Colin Plumb.
>     >> mars.cpp - Copyright 1998 Brian Gladman.
>     >> md2.cpp - Copyright 1994, 1995 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>     >> serpent.cpp - Copyright 1998, 1999 Brian Gladman and Sam
>     >> Simpson.
>
>     David> What are the licenses on these documents? Are they
>     David> compatible and free licenses?
>
> See below for such information as is contained in these files:
>
> haval.cpp

This doesn't seem to be a problem.

> idea.cpp

This could be a serious problem.  What's the current Debian stance on
IDEA?  Can it go in non-US/main, or just non-US/non-free?

> mars.cpp
>
> // mars.cpp - modified by Sean Woods from Brian Gladman's mars6.c for Crypto++
> // key setup updated by Wei Dai to reflect IBM's "tweak" proposed in August 1999
>
> /* This is an independent implementation of the MARS encryption         */
> /* algorithm designed by a team at IBM as a candidate for the US        */
> /* NIST Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) effort. The algorithm        */
> /* is subject to Patent action by IBM, who intend to offer royalty      */
> /* free use if a Patent is granted.                                     */
> /*                                                                      */
> /* Copyright in this implementation is held by Dr B R Gladman but       */
> /* I hereby give permission for its free direct or derivative use       */
> /* subject to acknowledgment of its origin and compliance with any      */
> /* constraints that IBM place on the use of the MARS algorithm.         */
> /*                                                                      */
> /* Dr Brian Gladman (gladman@seven77.demon.co.uk) 4th October 1998      */

Well, it's unclear what IBM thinks about this algorithm, so the status
here is unclear.

> md2.cpp

No problems here.

> serpent.cpp

This is the same as the other MARS one, I think.  They are talking
about the same algorithm, right?

> I'm sure theat md2.cpp is OK.  What about the others?

Well, the two major questions are IDEA and MARS.  I'm sure people have
already made a decision about IDEA, but Ihave no idea about MARS.  I
would think it would have patent-unencumbered since it was submitted
as an AES candidate, but since it didn't win, I'm not sure what the
status is.

	sam th
	sam@uchicago.edu
	http://www.abisource.com/~sam/