Re: OpenDivX license

> I think Debian (and OSI) needs to decide whether or not this is a
> philosophy they reject, and thus patch the hole in the DFSG/OSD.  Or,
> ignore it until it becomes an actual issue.  It was this kind of
> ambiguity, as well as a lack of general public interest in seeing problems
> in the OSD/DFSG, that contributed to my resignation from OSI.

 There's no hole, and this issue is really very simple:

     The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must allow
     them to be distributed under the same terms as the license of the
     original software.
                                    -- DFSG

 There are no "but"s in that clause.

 DFSG explicitly wants the ability of breaking any standard. Imagine a file
in Apache saying: "This code may be used only for implementing the RFC
2616"...