Re: Re-release restrictions (was: OpenDivX license)

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 12:26:30AM -0700, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 01:31:12PM -0800, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> > In context of the above, someone should be able to modify
> > and use the software in a way not conformant to the MPEG-4 specifications,
> > but the license is fine in saying that modification can't be redistributed
> > (just as I can't distribute software that violates the GPL).
>
> I'm terribly sorry to totally change the topic, however I find this very
> interesting. It seems to me that I should be able to make a DFSG compliant
> license as follows:
>
> You can redistribute under these same conditions.
> You can modify it locally.
> You AREN'T allowed to redistribute modifications that fall under some
> category (say - modifying function X).
> Redistributing any other derived works are fine.
>
> If the GPL is allowed to prohibit releasing a program with tiny snippets of
> GPL'ed code b/c the license of the containing work is slightly non-GPL,
> can I have the same sorts of restrictions and be DFSG free?
>
> ie: can I prohibit re-releasing certain modifications of my code.

No, you can't.  The GPL restricts the *licencse* of the
modifications.  It does not restrict the *content* of the
modifications.  Any such restriction would violate 3, Derived Works,
and 6, Fields of Endeavor is usually interpreted to prohibit this as
well.

Sorry.

	sam th
	sam@uchicago.edu