Re: [PROPOSAL] Allowing crypto in the main archive

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 11:17:05PM -0800, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> You can certainly say "this _archive_ is only for the use of residents
> of the following countries" and even try to enforce that, as long as
> you don't actually try to prevent the software from being spread by
> other people into those countries. It's been demonstrated pretty often
> that the GPL doesn't require you to distribute software to anyone, it
> just forbids you to forbid someone else to distribute the software to
> anyone.

Sure, the GPL doesn't force distribution.

> I think Adrian Bunk's point above is correct: if the author exercises
> GPL 8, then that software is no longer DFSG-free! (Its distribution
> terms will then discriminates against groups of persons.)

Let's see a real case before we go too far with this.

Otherwise, we're making assumptions about what other licenses are
applicable, or not.  And, whether it's the license or the laws which
restrict distribution.

--
Raul