Re: fair use of the word Debian

On Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 16:44:28 +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> I see people sidestepping the real issue here. The relevant question
> is: do we have any problem with a company that uses the word `Debian'
> in its name?

To me, it would depend a lot on how much emphasis "Debian" has in the
company's name. I'd not be in favour of "Debian, Inc.", but I could live
with DooGLeS ("Debian GNU Linux Support, Inc.").

> Examples of the first issue:
>   Debian System Labs
>   Instant Debian Support Inc.

Hmmm... I don't really know.

> Examples of the second issue:
>   debian-cd.com
>   debiansupport.com
>   Yoyodyne Desktop Linux, based on Debian GNU/Linux

The second issue is very closely related. I think "Instant Debian Support"
would probably want to have "debiansupport.com".

> I'm not in favour of condoning the first, but I'm not sure sure about the
> second.

I see the second as having just as much potential to damage (or improve)
the "Debian" name.

Speaking of domain names, "debianlinux.com" has been registered. I'm not
aware of any grant of, or even request for, permission to use the "Debian"
service mark.
Perhaps someone here could draft a friendly letter reminding them that
"Debian" is a registered service mark, that the Debian project has not made
up its mind yet whether or not to allow the use of the service mark in
domain names, and inquiring after their intentions?

Ray
--
J.H.M. Dassen                 | RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may
jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl      | not be a better one than the one the blocks