Re: Any legal issues when copying an API?

Scripsit uwe@steinmann.cx (Uwe Steinmann)

> May a use the header files From the commercial library or at least
> to the user of my library where to get them?

If the header files contain only function prototypes, struct
definitions and typedefs necessary to write the function prototypes,
and constant definitions, you can freely copy those to your own
headers. Such material is not copyrightable, because there is no
independent expressive choice when one writes them; the underlying
idea informs the result completely. Comments *can* be copyrightable
and should be left out. Complex macros or inline functions are a grey
area; it is best if one can completely avoid reusing them.

--
Henning Makholm                        "I ... I have to return some videos."