Re: Any legal issues when copying an API?

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 02:47:19PM +0100, Uwe Steinmann wrote:

> I'm asking here, because I would like to created packages of my
> library for debian.

For the purposes of inclusion in Debian, the only thing which matters is
whether or not your software is made available under a public license which
is compatible with our Debian Free Software Guidelines. If your new work is
an original work of authorship[1] and you're the copyright holder then you
can choose to license it under any terms you'd like, including terms which
would make it suitable for inclusion in Debian.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brian@ristuccia.com

[1] Being a workalike of another piece of software does not necessarily make
    a derivative work. Despite their similar functionality, and in some
    cases even call-for-call compatibility, no (sane) person believes that
    GNU libc is a work derived from sysV libc or that libeditline is a work
    derived from GNU readline or that Linux is a work derviced from UNIX. Of
    course if you engage in wholesale copying, all bets are off.