Re: Packaging Swiss Ephemeris Free Edition for Debian GNU/Linux

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 10:48:40AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Op di 14-10-2003, om 07:17 schreef Branden Robinson:
> > Well, it turns out to be irrelevant as the upstream copyright holders
> > seem disinclined to do anything at all about the licensing at present.
>
> "If you can help us with setting up a license which fulfils our
> intention and at the same time has no unclear points, you are welcome to
> provide suggestions."
>
> Not that I think I'm experienced enough to provide suggestions, but
> can't we at least try?

It's just that I think "setting up a license which fulfils our intention
and at the same time has no unclear points" is either a) impossible or
b) will be very time-consuming.

They did indicate that time was a factor for them.

I'm not sure there exists a license with "no unclear points" if
sufficient hair-splittling is brought to bear.  We've even argued over
whether it's *possible* to put something into the public domain in
various jursdictions, so even the "null license" is unclear.

(More precisely, I guess the "null license" is "All rights reserved.",
but the meaning of *that* is a matter of constant debate as well.)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     When I die I want to go peacefully
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     in my sleep like my ol' Grand