Re: Licensing requirements ???

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 08:10:24PM -0500, Michael D Schleif wrote:
> As I commented in response to David, I had always assumed that, so long
> as we do not modify source code, GPL allows distribution of this sort.
> Once I read the MySQL licensing page, I have doubts.

Eh?  Whether you've modified the code or not, the GPL requires you to
fulfill all of it's requirements.  One of those is that people you
distribute to can get the source (either from you or via some other offer).

If your application links to a GPL'd library (and the new MySQL client
library is GPL'd, so you're stuck) you are required (by the FSF's
interpretation of the GPL, at any rate) to GPL your program, which means
handing over the source.

> We want to do the right thing.  This is *NOT* a matter of whether or not
> we can get away without paying for software!

Whelp, then, in that case, just buy a MySQL licence, get a licence for
whatever other GPL'd software you link to (not much in the PHP/Apache/MySQL
combo), and live happily in the night...

- Matt