Re: Licensing requirements ???

MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> [2003:10:10:01:09:49+0100] scribed:
> On 2003-10-09 20:01:36 +0100 Michael D Schleif <mds@helices.org> wrote:
>
> >My client wants to retain all rights to their software, and is not
> >willing to release their software in any `free' software fashion.
>
> ...so this isn't a question about the licence of something that can be
> in Debian?  I suspect debian-legal is not the best list for this.
>
> >Everything other than the proprietary software is straight DEB
> >installed, so their is no issue of distributing modified `free'
> >software.  However, the MySQL licensing model seems to indicate that a
> >licensing fee is due them; and, I wonder about others.
>
> I believe that you can supply MySQL for free or fee.  If you are
> creating a derived work of it, you will need to read and understand
> the terms of the licence, or buy a different licence from them.  IANAL
> and this is an opinion, not legal advice.  If you have a more specific
> question about MySQL licensing, MySQL AB are probably the best people
> to consult.
>
> >What are the repercussions to my client, as a result of this model?
>
> How long is a piece of string?  I'd expect that they will get reduced
> licence fees and no effective vendor lock-in.  Please seek legal
> advice from a copyright lawyer with experience of free software
> licences in your local jurisdiction.

OK, but I need to start someplace.  Based on my description, if response
consensus is that I do not have problems with Debian licensing, that is
more than I had when I posted.

If consensus is to contact each application developer, in turn, for the
Apache, PHP, MySQL and other included software; then that, too, is more
than I had before.

As I commented in response to David, I had always assumed that, so long
as we do not modify source code, GPL allows distribution of this sort.
Once I read the MySQL licensing page, I have doubts.

We want to do the right thing.  This is *NOT* a matter of whether or not
we can get away without paying for software!

Thank you, for your kind participation . . .

--
Best Regards,

mds
mds resource