Re: RFC: GPL plus securities industry disclaimer suitable for main?

Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com> writes:

> The first part seems to indicate that purposes that are illegal in
> England are prohibited by the license. This is is a usage restraint,
> as England might choose to make certain useages of information
> illegal, whereas they remain legal in other countries.

No, I think that's not right.  It says "judge this agreement under the
law of England".  The law of England might well interpret the clause
you cite as referring to "illegal according to the local
jurisdiction".  Choice of law is hard for most people to wrap their
heads around (reading it incorrectly as choice-of-forum,
choice-of-jurisdiction, or choice-of-reference-of-terms).