Re: RFC: GPL plus securities industry disclaimer suitable for main?

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com> writes:
>> The first part seems to indicate that purposes that are illegal in
>> England are prohibited by the license. This is is a usage restraint,
>> as England might choose to make certain useages of information
>> illegal, whereas they remain legal in other countries.
>
> No, I think that's not right.  It says "judge this agreement under
> the law of England".  The law of England might well interpret the
> clause you cite as referring to "illegal according to the local
> jurisdiction".

Oh, definetly. It's clearly open for interpretation, my issue is that
it's very vague and has to be interpreted. Eg, where do the laws of
England stop and the laws of the jurisdiction of the licensee begin?

The most conservative approach is to assume that you are going to be
subject to the most restrictive set of laws of either the local
jurisdiction or the agreement's.

Don Armstrong

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com