Re: GFDL Freeness and Cover Texts

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 12:20:04AM -0400, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> I don't have any invariant sections in any of them, but each of them
> specifies a brief back cover text:
>
> "This contains material from the Linux Quality Database at
> http://linuxquality.sunsite.dk";.
>
> Is that a problem?

It might become a problem if your site ever moves.  I think this is
what Walter meant with cover texts that are misleading.
Fortunately, unlike with Invariant Sections, at least *you* have
authority to change the cover text.  That doesn't help if you
can no longer be contacted, though.  People do drop off the
net sometimes :)

> Also, while I have your attention, I would also like to say that I would
> welcome any translations of these articles to other languages.  The Open
> Source Development Lab has already translated the two kernel testing
> articles to Japanese.

In that case, if you do go with the GFDL, you should use version 1.2.
Version 1.1 is problematic with translations.

Richard Braakman