PHP-Nuke License Conclusion?

Hello,
I found the thread at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200302/msg00164.html
regarding the licensing information on PHP-Nuke.  Unfortunately, I was
unable to find a conclusion/consensus on the issue.  As an end user of this
program, can anyone tell me if this program qualifies as Free Software?   I
do not wish to spew out a "powered by PHP-Nuke" footer on every page.  I do
not believe that this is in the spirit of the GPL at all.  I wish to display
credits on a seperate page on my site, not as a footer on every page.

Am I allowed to do this?  Is the PHP-Nuke author allowed to force the users
to display messages on all their web pages?  I will move to a different CMS
if this is the case.

Thank you for your time and assistance.