Re: PHP4 And GPL mixing, what is linking?

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 12:24:26PM -0800, Mark Rafn wrote:

> > Like Mysql does, my preventing you from connecting to the free server
> > using non-free clients.

> It does?  I'd be interested to hear more about this, as I don't see how
> free software can restrict usage.

Perhaps he's referring to MySQL upstream's decision to release the latest
version of their client libs under the GPL only.  This does not prevent
someone from writing their own client libs, of course (proprietary or
otherwise).  Someone interested in testing whether free software licenses
are really revocable might also want to take an older LGPL version of the
MySQL client libs and fork them (PHP upstream may already be doing this,
AIUI).

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer