Re: PHP4 And GPL mixing, what is linking?

Steve,
thank you for addressing my question.
It is really the question how can I protect a gpled php module from
being used and exploited by a developer who does not want to contribute
his code under the GPL. Where is the much loved sticky linking effect
like you have with gpled c code?

--- Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 06:04:16AM -0800, James Michael DuPont wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to make a GPL'ed PHP4 software and distribute it?
> > Does the not depend on the Zend API
>
> You can always release PHP-related software under the GPL and
> distribute
> that code to others
> You can redistribute someone else's GPL source.
>
> You can (arguably) compile GPLed PHP extensions and distribute the
> binaries, since the PHP engine might be considered a "major component
> of
> the operating system".  However,
>
> You cannot ship GPLed PHP extensions in Debian.

Do you PHP licensed Extensions to GPled modules, or PHP licensed
extensions?

> > Is it possible to make a non-free plugin for a GPL'ed PHP4?
>
> Who has a GPLed PHP4?  PHP4 is not available under the GPL, and
> probably
> never will be.

I mean PHP4 code under the GPL. Can I make non-free PHP4 code that uses
it? Can somone sell a plugin that uses a GPLED debiab PHP4 module and
SQL database?

> > Where does linking occur? Can I prevent non-free software from
> using a
> > GPLEd with a strong dependency?
>
> How?  The GPL permits one to do anything they want with the software,
> if
> they aren't distributing it.

What if they are sellling it?

> > What about SQL database, can I prevent non-free software from using
> the
> > database of a GPled application?
>
> How?
Like Mysql does, my preventing you from connecting to the free server
using non-free clients.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont