Re: PHP4 And GPL mixing, what is linking?

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 06:04:16AM -0800, James Michael DuPont wrote:

> Is it possible to make a GPL'ed PHP4 software and distribute it?
> Does the not depend on the Zend API

You can always release PHP-related software under the GPL and distribute
that code to others.

You can redistribute someone else's GPL source.

You can (arguably) compile GPLed PHP extensions and distribute the
binaries, since the PHP engine might be considered a "major component of
the operating system".  However,

You cannot ship GPLed PHP extensions in Debian.

> Is it possible to make a non-free plugin for a GPL'ed PHP4?

Who has a GPLed PHP4?  PHP4 is not available under the GPL, and probably
never will be.

> Where does linking occur? Can I prevent non-free software from using a
> GPLEd with a strong dependency?

How?  The GPL permits one to do anything they want with the software, if
they aren't distributing it.

> What about SQL database, can I prevent non-free software from using the
> database of a GPled application?

How?

--
Steve Langasek