Re: South African Law on Crypto Providers

   Dear Debian-legal:

   Please pardon my tardiness in replying to this subject (I just read
my DWN), but since I've seen no mention of this particular aspect of
it, here goes:

and Matt Black <matt@mattblack.cjb.net> observed:
> I've been trying to look up the official South African govt site at:
> http://www.parliament.gov.za/pls/portal30/url/page/parliamentary_bills
> and
> http://www.parliament.gov.za/pls/portal30/url/page/parliamentary_acts
> - but keep getting a "Service Temporarily Unavailable" message.

   A funny/sad/scary situation is in place due to the law[-to-be?]
which gave rise to this thread.  The law places the .ZA ccTLD in the
hands of the Ministry of Communications.  Many people (notably Mike
Lawrie, .ZA's administrator) oppose this as a power grab and a recipe
for, indeed, ``kick[ing] itself off the Internet.''  One reason for
the latter is the above-mentioned unavailability of the Parliament's
server(s?)---if the government can't run its own domain...

   Should you wish to know more, a good starting point is duelling
press releases[2] on Politech.  An RFCI-Discuss email[3] has an
overview, and you can check an ICANNWatch page[4], or the home[5] of
Namespace.ZA, an electronic-roots organization trying to provide a
solution.

   If this has followups, please cc: me.  Thanks.

--

                         Best wishes,

                                  Max Hyre

[1]