Re: South African Law on Crypto Providers

On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 21:20, Lukas Geyer wrote:
> The South African government passed a law (apparently two
> month ago) which requires all crypto providers to register with the
> government for some fee. The law can be found under
> http://co.za/ect/a25-02.pdf (this is ridiculously large, seems to be a
> bitmap of some scanned-in document or such). The critical section is
> Chapter V, on pages 18 and 19 of said pdf. Specifically the law does
> not require that the provider resides in South Africa, it is enough to
> provide it to persons present in South Africa.

It seems like the law is yet to be passed (see http://co.za/ect/)  Is that
right?  HTML of the legislation is at http://co.za/ect/html1/

I've been trying to look up the official South African govt site at:

http://www.parliament.gov.za/pls/portal30/url/page/parliamentary_bills
and
http://www.parliament.gov.za/pls/portal30/url/page/parliamentary_acts

- but keep getting a "Service Temporarily Unavailable" message.

Matt