Re: License issue with freeswan (Eric Young's libdes)

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 10:41:24AM -0500, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:

> | What is needed here is a license exemption from the freeswan copyright
> | holders, granting permission to distribute binaries linked against
> | libdes.
> Is this enough ? Because of the advertising clause, would Debian be
> forced to include such an advertisment in any release document ?

The exact terms of the license state:

3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
   must display the following acknowledgement:
   This product includes software developed by Eric Young (eay@cryptsoft.com)

Therefore, any advertising materials mentioning *freeswan* must display
the acknowledgement.  If (and only if) we mention the freeswan package in
our release document are we required to include this acknowledgement.
(We may be required to display an equivalent acknowledgement if we
mention other packages.)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer