Re: laptop and Debian

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 00:01:03 +0100
Gerard Robin <jag.robin18@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
> I intend to buy a laptop.
> I googled to find some information about laptops which support linux Debian
> and the informations that I got concerned fairly old laptops and no one works
> fine at 100%.
> Can someone give me some advices or give me a link to find some informations
> about recents laptops.
> I would like that thee things work fine:
> Xwindow
> modem
> ethernet card
> usb
> wifi
> power sleep
> printer
> TIA
> Gérard

Hi Gerard,

I got an Dell Inspiron 1150 and Debian Sarge running 'out of the box' (net-install that is). Everything worked, except 'suspend', for which I had to compile a newer kernel with ACPI patch, after that, suspend to disk *and* suspend to memory both work; especially suspend to memory is nice, since the laptop is operational in 2 seconds.

For WiFi, look around for cards that are working under Linux; do not buy Linksys because they change chipssets in the same product line, and that gave me some trouble a couple of years ago.

Regards,

Rob de Graaf