Re: Problems on acer aspire 1355xc

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 15:33:25 +0100
Stefan Esterer <stefon@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi Andrea...
>
> Is it possible that the cpu is so slow because if acpi. I mean your computer
> don't need more cpu power..

You can check which cpu governor is running (here it shows the case of 'ondemand'):
root@local# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
ondemand

Also, check that the drivers are loaded, using
root@domain$ lsmod | grep cpu
cpufreq_powersave       1920  0
cpufreq_ondemand        6556  1

You can switch governors by echoing the governor into
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
, performance gives 100% cpu scale
, ondemand gives well... on demand cpu scale
, powersave gives the lowest cpu scale possible
, you can use the following script:

root@domain$ cat /etc/init.d/cpufreq
#!/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
case "${1}" in
        start|demand)
                logger "Enabling ondemand cpu frequency"
                echo ondemand    > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
                ;;
        powersave)
                logger "Enabling powersave cpu frequency"
                echo powersave   > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
                ;;
        stop|performance)
                logger "Enabling performance cpu frequency"
                echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
                ;;
        *)
                echo "Usage: ${0} {start|demand|powersave|performance|stop}"
                exit 1
                ;;
esac

The ACPI patch can be found at http://acpi.sourceforge.net/download.html
, download the patch which fits the correct kernel number; in my experience, the newer the better.

Regards,

Rob de Graaf