Re: Help, Asus W3 laptop

Hi,

I too have the Asus W3 notebook.  I have been trying to install Suse 10.1 OSS Alpha 3.  I have come across a few problems but resolved a few.

First during install I needed to use the parameter insmod=ide-generic otherwise Yast setup program could not find my harddrive.  This laptop is typical of other Sonoma laptops insofar as they have PATA drives on an ICH6 SATA controller.  So to get Suse to boot, I have to edit the boot parameters for root=/dev/sda6 instead of /dev/hda6.  Also I am using the 2.6.xx-rc kernel.  I have heard that kernels before 2.6 do not have this problem.  Thus I tried Slack 10.2 and got it to boot from disk with no problems, no special commands needed, but also no laptop specific features either in slack, without some heavy modding of conf files.

Have you found any places to help you out with your laptop?

-Mike