Re: Mounting local filesystems: failed!

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 16:47 -0400, Dominique Orban wrote:
> Thank you for the reply, Ian. The directories exist and are empty:
>
> do@alien:/var/log$ cd /media
> do@alien:/media$ ls -l
> total 12
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    6 2005-04-24 17:32 cdrom -> cdrom0
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 2005-04-24 17:32 cdrom0
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 2005-05-16 14:25 sda1
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 2005-07-17 11:01 winxp
> do@alien:/media$ ls cdrom
> do@alien:/media$ ls cdrom0
> do@alien:/media$ ls sda1
> do@alien:/media$ ls winxp
> do@alien:/media$
>
> I use winxp to mount my (hum) Windows partition, sda1 for the usb
> stick and cdrom for the cd.

Yeah, I have a windows partition myself.  There are few games that
haven't been ported to Linux yet. ;)

>                             Here is what happens:
>
> alien:/media# mount /media/winxp/
> alien:/media# mount /media/sda1
> mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist
>
> I have 3 usb ports of my laptop. If I move the usb stick to another
> port, I can mount it (don't know why, I had noticed this before
> though). Could this be the source of the message?

Probably not.  From what you've described, I can't see anything that
would cause this error to be displayed.

As far as that specific USB port is concerned, does it work under
windows?  If not, I'd say you have a hardware failure.  Otherwise, you
might have a second usb controller that isn't getting initialized.

> alien:/media# mount /media/sda1    (usb stick in other port)
> alien:/media# mount /media/cdrom
> alien:/media#
>
> No error messages.
> /dev/sda1 does not exist prior to inserting the usb stick, but then
> again, that entry in /etc/fstab says 'noauto'...

What the noauto means (which I didn't notice before in your fstab) is
that your system won't automatically mount that particular mount point
when starting up.  You (or some piece of software) have to give an
explicit command to cause that location to be mounted.  So, noauto on
the cdrom0 and sda1 entries makes sense.  You may want to remove it on
the entry for your windows partition.

> It might just be a glitch somewhere as nothing seems wrong as far as I can tell.
> Thanks much for any help.

Well, looking at your files, I am unable to see anything that would be
causing the error message to be displayed.

*light goes on*

I wonder if you have something trying to remount /proc?  *digs
thru /etc/init.d/ files...*  In fact, in /etc/init.d/mountvirtfs, it
explicitly mounts /proc, so you could comment out the proc line in
your /etc/fstab file.  That is my guess as to what is most likely
causing the error.

BTW, don't delete anything from fstab unless you are *sure* that it
should be deleted.  Comment it out instead.

> Dominique

-Ian