Mounting local filesystems: failed!

Hello,

I am running Debian Testing, kernels 2.6.12-1-686 and 2.6.12-1-686-smp
and upgraded recently a number of base packages, including udev, cpio,
xorg but also basic services config files, kde, etc. Since the
upgrade, at each bootup of either kernel, I see the following message
printed in red:

"Mounting local filesystems... failed!"

The laptop proceeds with the booting, and everything comes up just
fine. The above message does not appear in any log file in /var/log.
Nothing seems wrong with the mounted filesystems. My /etc/fstab is as
follows (and this is how it was also before the upgrade):

proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda3       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/hda2       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hda1       /media/winxp    ntfs    ro,user,noauto,umask=000  0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/sda1       /media/sda1     vfat    rw,users,noauto 0       0

and the output of "mount" is

/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=10M,mode=0755)

I know this is very scarse information. If anyone has any idea what
might be going wrong, or where I should look for more clues, I would
be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Dominique