Re: touchpad too sensitive

On 7/29/05, Dominique Orban <dominique.orban@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a synaptic touchpad on my laptop (Alienware Area 51-M 5500) and
> here is the touchpad section of my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
>         Driver          "synaptics"
>         Option          "CorePointer"
>         Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
>         Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
>         #Option         "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
>         Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
>         Option          "LeftEdge"              "1700"
>         Option          "RightEdge"             "5300"
>         Option          "TopEdge"               "1700"
>         Option          "BottomEdge"            "4200"
>         Option          "FingerLow"             "25"
>         Option          "FingerHigh"            "30"
>         Option          "MaxTapTime"            "180"
>         Option          "MaxTapMove"            "220"
>         Option          "VertScrollDelta"       "100"
>         Option          "MinSpeed"              "0.06"
>         Option          "MaxSpeed"              "0.12"
>         Option          "AccelFactor"           "0.0010"
>         Option          "SHMConfig"             "on"
>         #Option         "Repeater"              "/dev/ps2mouse"
> EndSection
>
> Don't forget to include
>
>     Load "synaptics"   # with a final 's'
>
> in the Module section. Then in the ServerLayout section, I have:
>
>    InputDevice     "Synaptics Touchpad" "CorePointer"

The synaptics driver appears to be compiled in my kernel (v2.6.12.2),
so there's no module to load for this in my setup.  I copied the
XF86-Config-4 from the synaptics README file -- they look a lot like
what you sent here.  Were you able to determine easily what the best
settings for LeftEdge and RightEdge would be?  That's probably key
here.

One thing the README file's XF86Config-4 example includes that yours
does not is options for "PalmDetect", which I'm guessing is a big part
of the problem I'm trying to resolve.  These are the options:

  Option        "PalmDetect"            Bool
  Option        "PalmMinWidth"        int
  Option        "PalmMinZ"              int

I'm not sure what values to give for PalmMinWidth and PalmMinZ.  It'll
probably just take some guesswork and trial and error revisions.

Andy