Re: touchpad too sensitive

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 06:02:49PM -0600, Andy Dolbey wrote:
> I'm running Woody 2.6.12.2 on an HP Pavilion notebook (dv4040us).  One
> problem I'm trying to fix is the touchpad's sensitivity.  This
> touchpad is crazy sensitive -- just breathe on it and the pointer
> moves!  In some contexts, this doesn't bother me that much.  But, when
> I'm using apps or tools that require a lot of typing (emacs, gmail in
> a browser window,...), it's really a problem.  While I am typing, if
> any portion of the base of my hand/palm comes in to contact with the
> touchpad, no matter how lightly, the pointer puts the cursor in a new
> location, and one of two things happens:  1) a new window is selected
> and made active (mildly annoying), or 2) whatever letters I was in the
> process of typing are inserted in an incorrect location (extremely
> annoying!).

Can you give more information? What do the 'input devices' sections of your
XF85Config file say? Are you using the synaptics driver (try 'lsmod synaptic')?
There are several options for the X11 config file that are relevant:
    MinSpeed
    MaxSpeed
    AccelFactor

Some others as well. Depending on your desktop environment, you may also have
graphical utilities to configure these options ((k|q)synaptic on KDE, 'Mouse
Preferences' or similar in Gnome...).

> I've tried using tpconfig to disable tap mode, but that doesn't fix
> this problem.  It's almost like I need to just turn the touchpad off
> completely while I'm typing text.

What did you try with tpconfig?

> Has anybody else had this problem, and found a way to deal with it?
> If so, please let me know.  If this isn't fixable, it would count as
> one good reason to get a Thinkpad.

I'm quite a happy Thinkpad user -- that said, I'm sure you can come up with a
HP-compatible solution. I've run Knoppix on a Pavillion (different model) with
no touchpad issues.

--

Will Maier