Re: Re: Does i8k work for dell inspiron 600M?

Well, I don't know about the 600m, but I JUST managed to get i8k to
work on my Inspiron 8100 by using the i8k=force that Christian
suggested (along with an 'update-modules' and a reboot).  It was
extremely unreliable before that (I had it work ONCE in all my
fiddling).

So, in summary:

config your kernel to use i8k as a module (I forget how I
did that, see the other articles in the sequence)

edit (as root) /etc/modules and either add the line:

i8k force=1

or add 'force=1' to whatever i8k info is there already.

Then, run (again, as root) update-modules, and reboot.

If you want fan control, go get the i8kfan utils:

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/

build (as per instructions), then './i8kfan 1 1' will force
both fans on all the time (and you don't have to be root,
unless you go modify stuff to force that).

NOTE - all the above is under 2.6 kernel and sarge!

Note also - theoretically the above should work on the 8000,
the 8100, AND the 8200.  I know that I managed to get i8kfan
to work on an Inspiron 8000 as well (using Mandrake and
kernel 2.2 or 2.4, and doing different things (I had to load
the i8k module manually, IIRC).

Now, all I have to do is get the stupid IRDA and the scsi
emulation to work (correctly, as it were).

rc