Re: Thin high-pitched noise on Inspiron 510m with the ACPI "processor" module

Hi JB,

* Jean-Baka Domelevo <domelevo@gmail.com> [050727 10:41]:
> I am running a Dell Inspiorn 510m laptop under a Debian Sarge (kernel
> 2.6.8). I noticed that when I use the ACPI "processor" module, there
> is a continuous thin high-pitched noise coming from the laptop

Following your description, I think this is a known problem with many
laptops (including my AOpen), and searching Google you can see it seems
hardware related (too cheap capacitors).

At least with my laptop, there are two things that take the problem up:
    - the new 1000 HZ internal kernel timer frequency in Linux 2.6, and
    - ACPI putting the processor into the C3 power saving state.

If this is your problem, you can try plugging an USB mouse or keyboard;
the system wont go to C3 state (see "cat
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/power"), and the noise will stop.

There is two things you can do besides using an USB mouse:

    - build your kernel with the old 100 HZ timer frecuency; I bet you
      wont see any difference (this is the solution I'm using for 6
      months without a problem; see the patch).

    - boot the kernel with "processor.max_cstate=2"; I don't remember if
      2.6.8 had this option, so maybe you need a new kernel anyway.

Good luck (I love the silence too :)
--
David