Re: Problems booting Debian 3.1 on Acer 4100

Ram Kumar DANGETI wrote:
The problem was really because of hotplug and everything went well
after I removed the package. Thanks for the hint and I'll try to
figureout why hotplug is causing boot problems on my laptop. And
knoppix was really handy for repairing my debian installation :-)

I've a Acer Extensa 3002 WLMI. And hotplug is working!

I think that your problems are related to the Debian kernel. In my case I had to place a 'noacpi' as kernel parameter to get my system booting after the installation. Then I've build a custimized kernel: 2.6.10 with the related patches from acpi.sourceforge.net (now I'm using 2.6.11). I also integrated the acpi_sbs, acpi_ec and suspend2 patches to get the readouts for the smartbattery and the embedded controller and to enable 'suspend to disk'. I compiled acerhk (Acer hotkey), ipw2200 (Intel wlan) and slamr (modem) driver as modules. I can run this kernel without 'noacpi' but I still had to blacklist some modules for hotplug. For the next kernel I will remove these modules from the kernel config.

So don`t remove hotplug or discover. Simply try to find the modules that cause the trouble and blacklist them (/etc/hotplug/blacklist ?). If you need those modules, you can load them through /etc/modules.

Berthold