Re: memory stick

try then "mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /mnt" (it depends on the way your
stick has been formatted, old-school or not-as-old-school).
And for the "/dev/sda1" part, you should check in your dmesg output to
make sure this is the actual location assigned to the device after
detection. According to the output you gave, you should simply try
"/dev/sda".
Regards,
JB.