Re: Slow boot with Kernel 2.6.12, why? Incredible slow.

On 12 Jul 2005, Benedek Frank wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:54:34 +1000
> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> wrote:
>
>> On 12 Jul 2005, Benedek Frank wrote:
>>> I was using 2.6.11 kernel on my Vaio Picturebook, and I had some
>>> outstanding issues with ACPI, so I wanted to install the 2.6.12
>>> kernel. As I didnt find a debian specific 2.6.12 kernel, I grabbed
>>> the one from Kernel.org, the latest stable one. I compiled it, and
>>> before compiling, I imported the already working config file of my
>>> 2.6.11 compile. I quickly double checked that all entries are
>>> correct, and I compiled. The machine boots, just incredibly slowly.
>>> Unbelievable slowly. The 2.6.11 is slow also, compare to 2.4 kernels
>>> on this laptop, but still it is done in 1min40secs. BUt the 2.6.12
>>> is 4min5secs. Why would that be? There are no errors, etc. Just
>>> really slow booting. Does all the same, just slowly.
>>
>> Are you using udev?  You need the latest udev packages, as I
>> understand it, or the thing has to time out *every* transaction on the
>> .12 kernels. This is caused by an upstream API change.
>>
>> udev from unstable should correct this, as I understand it.
>>
>> Otherwise, can you tell us *where* in the boot process things are
>> slow?
> Hi
>
> The first 10 or so seconds go fine and when it comes to modules it gets
> slow. And yes, I am not using UDEV, as I wanted to eliminate as many
> packages as possible, so that I can get the fastest possible working
> mode. If UDEV is in fact necessary, I will install and check.

No, udev isn't necessary, but it did have an issue with the version in
stable that would cause slow booting.

Are you loading a module for hardware RNG support?  At one stage, at
least, that caused my system to peg at high usage, resulting in a slow
system.

Are you loading any modules to support SpeedStep, or some other CPU
frequency management interface?

Are your disks still doing DMA correctly with the new kernel?

Unfortunately, as you can probably tell, this is reduced to guesswork.
I run 2.6.12 happily on my machine, and there is no performance
difference between that and .11, so it is something specific to your
system, I guess.

    Daniel

--
To know anything well involves a profound sensation of ignorance.
        -- John Ruskin, _Modern Painters_