Re: Slow boot with Kernel 2.6.12, why? Incredible slow.

On 12 Jul 2005, Benedek Frank wrote:
> I was using 2.6.11 kernel on my Vaio Picturebook, and I had some
> outstanding issues with ACPI, so I wanted to install the 2.6.12 kernel.
> As I didnt find a debian specific 2.6.12 kernel, I grabbed the one from
> Kernel.org, the latest stable one. I compiled it, and before compiling,
> I imported the already working config file of my 2.6.11 compile. I
> quickly double checked that all entries are correct, and I compiled. The
> machine boots, just incredibly slowly. Unbelievable slowly. The 2.6.11
> is slow also, compare to 2.4 kernels on this laptop, but still it is
> done in 1min40secs. BUt the 2.6.12 is 4min5secs. Why would that be?
> There are no errors, etc. Just really slow booting. Does all the same,
> just slowly.

Are you using udev?  You need the latest udev packages, as I understand
it, or the thing has to time out *every* transaction on the .12 kernels.
This is caused by an upstream API change.

udev from unstable should correct this, as I understand it.

Otherwise, can you tell us *where* in the boot process things are slow?

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Symmetry is a complexity-reducing concept (co-routines include
subroutines); seek it everywhere.