Re: Bios HDD spin-down

On Tuesday 05 July 2005 04:33, Russell Shaw wrote:
 > Anders Breindahl wrote:
 > > On Tuesday 05 July 2005 03:00, Russell Shaw wrote:
 > >>Hi,
 > >>In the bios screen, there's settings for hard-disk spin-down times.
 > >>Does this mean i don't need to worry about setting hdparm?
 > >>
 > >>Should "Power Management" be enabled in the bios or disabled?
 > >>(ie: does linux handle it regardless of bios?)
 > >>
 > >>I put debian-sid on a dell C610 latitude.
 > >
 > > You would prefer setting the settings using hdparm.
 > > The BIOS settings typically are ignored as a whole when ACPI kicks in.
 > > If you use an ACPI-aware OS (which you probably do), I would advise
 > > against relying on the BIOS settings.
 > >
 > > Just put `hdparm -S 5 /dev/hda' in your bootup-scripts.
 > > Regards, Anders Breindahl.
 >
 > If i left the power management enabled in the bios, does linux overide it,
 > or will they both try and work and conflict?

IIRC, the BIOS power-management settings of the Dell notebooks gets overridden
by ACPI settings. That is, having an ACPI aware OS will override any power
management setting of the BIOS setup. For example, I have had ``Suspend on
lid close'' on for years without noticing (nor suspending).

However -- harddisk spindown timeouts have nothing to do with ACPI, AFAIK.
This makes me unsure. I do, however feel confident that your settings will
not conflict. One will overrule, and my bet is on hdparm.

Regards, Anders Breindahl.