Re: Bios HDD spin-down

On Tuesday 05 July 2005 03:00, Russell Shaw wrote:
> Hi,
> In the bios screen, there's settings for hard-disk spin-down times.
> Does this mean i don't need to worry about setting hdparm?
>
> Should "Power Management" be enabled in the bios or disabled?
> (ie: does linux handle it regardless of bios?)
>
> I put debian-sid on a dell C610 latitude.

You would prefer setting the settings using hdparm.
The BIOS settings typically are ignored as a whole when ACPI kicks in. If you
use an ACPI-aware OS (which you probably do), I would advise against relying
on the BIOS settings.

Just put `hdparm -S 5 /dev/hda' in your bootup-scripts.
Regards, Anders Breindahl.