Re: Experience with recent WLAN hardware (Netgear WG 511, TRENDnet TEW-421PC)

Hello James (and *),

some remarks and some more experience:

* Netgear seems to sell cards based on the Texas Instruments chipset as
  well, e.g. the WG 311.

* I tried the native Linux driver (latest version) and found that it works
  quite reliably for me WHEN someone else is using the access point as
  well, otherwise the driver just looses touch. Moreover, the driver does
  not yet support scanning which is inconvenient (requires to switch the
  driver if scanning is required) and may be related to the problem of
  loosing touch.

* My feelings about the ndiswrapper have become ambivalent. Sometimes it
  just works fine (plug in the card, modprobe the driver, fire up the
  interface, high download rates) and sometimes (more often in fact) only
  more or less (card will not associate with the access point immediately,
  firing up the interface does not work despite association, low
  transmission rates) or not at all. To make my approach more systematic,
  I am performing my experiments in the same place and always double-check
  with Windows. (Frustratingly, on Windows the same driver ALWAYS manages
  to establish a reliable connection quickly.)

* When I learned that Texas instruments has bought a licence of Linuxant's
  driverloader for all users of ACX-* based cards, I got me a copy
  quickly. Installation was without problems and the card worked as well
  as on Windows - until the system froze. I cannot report much on this
  yet; I am waiting for responce by the Linuxant support.

My experience suggests that the card may need some more initialization
than the Windows driver itself does. How else could one explain the
difference between the ndiswrapper on the one side and
Windows/driverloader on the other? Or may there be a problem with my
networking setup or the networking stuff in the 2.6.10 kernel? (I found
that it MAKES a difference whether I use the eth0 or the wlan0 interface
and that, sometimes, I need to reconfigure the network interfaces to get
everything going, also when using the Ethernet hardware built into my
docking station which always worked well until grading up to 2.6.x.)

Michael