Re: pppd gateway/software suspend

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> Hrm. That routing table is in a bad way.  You route the loopback address
> via your Ethernet adapter, and have a default route gatewayed to
> 127.0.0.1, neither of which are even *close* to right.

All right....that's, if I got it right, what also Derek was saying.
When I boot up, netenv links only interface.home to interfaces
and interfaces is just

# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

However, I just noticed that on my /etc/netenv/uliss-home entry I've got
an entry
export GATEWAY=127.0.0.1
which is probably what I don't want in the first place. I'll comment that
out, and see if that works.

> [... dial up ...]
>
> > Kernel IP routing table
> > Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
> > 192.168.100.101 0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
> > 0.0.0.0         127.0.0.1       0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 lo
> >
> > I can't ping anybody but myself and the gateway.
>
> That would be because your gateway is the local machine via loopback,
> and Linux will respond to any *local* address regardless of with network
> adapter the request comes across.

That way I shouldn't have the second entry any more, and hopefully, set
the defaultroute automatically....did I get right?

> Well, my guess is that netenv is somehow screwed and is inserting the
> *very* broken 'gateway via localhost' bit.

If that was the thing, it might be my fault as well

> I suggest removing netenv and getting to the point where that default
> route no longer shows up.
That'll be my next move if nothing works

> Sure.  Well, it's pretty easy to deal with the ppp thing.  When you make
> a call with wvdial, run ps xfwww as root, which should show you the full
> command line that wvdial ran.

Thanks a lot Dan and Derek. I'll see what happens
	Cheers
		Ale