pppd gateway/software suspend

Hi folks
After the mobile phone nightmare, I finally decided and got the motorola
c350. Thanks a lot for all your help.
The mobile I got is cheap, it works, and comes with an excellent flat rate
by vodafone that allows 24h gprs connection at 20 Euro a month. Also, the
usb cable, being a normal cable, is rather cheaper than the usual ones. In
conclusion, I'm quite happy with it. I haven't managed to make it visible
with wammu though.

Anyway, here's my questions, non strictly laptop specific, but very much
related to it
1)When I start pppd connection (I use wvdial, I find it a lot easier and
intuitive), I get

CONNECT
--> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
--> Don't know what to do!  Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
--> Starting pppd at Fri Mar 19 10:45:14 2004
--> pid of pppd: 1026
--> Using interface ppp0
--> local  IP address 10.216.180.29
--> remote IP address 192.168.100.101
--> primary   DNS address 194.185.97.134
--> secondary DNS address 194.185.97.134

So far, so good then.
However, when I ping, I don't get anywhere. Problem is pppd connection
hasn't set the right gateway, so I have to do it by hand, with tedious
(I'm quite lazy in fact)
route add default gw ....
Does anybody know how to do that automatically? I mean, is there a way to
get the gateway set dynamically as it does with the dns?

Second question.
I've just compiled 2.6.2 kernel. I like innovation and patched with
swsusp patches from sourceforge. Everything is on, but when I suspend, it
looks all right, it umounts everything, get a blank screen with "writing disc caches" or
something similar on and an indicator for the state of the process and
when it finishes, it poweroff. However, when I restart, it seems id
doesn't find any swap image and does

Software Suspend 2.0: Checking for image...
ACPI: (supports S0 S3 S4 S5)
Software Suspend 2.0: kswsuspd starting
Freeing unused kernel memory: 176k freed
Adding 465844k swap on /dev/hda6.  Priority:-1 extents:1

in fact, nothing. Then it executes fschk because the file system was
not unmounted cleanly. I mean, is it having fun of me?
This is the (I think) relevant part of my config file:

# Power management options (ACPI, APM)
#
CONFIG_PM=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y

#
# Software Suspend 2
#
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2=y

#
# Image Storage (you need at least one writer)
#

CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_SWAPWRITER=y
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_NULLWRITER is not set

#
# Page Transformers
#
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_LZF_COMPRESSION=y
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_GZIP_COMPRESSION is not set
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_NULLTRANSFORMER is not set

#
# General Options
#
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_KEEP_IMAGE is not set
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_RELAXED_PROC is not set
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_DEFAULT_RESUME2="/dev/hda6"
# CONFIG_PM_DISK is not set

also, I've got
append="resume2=swap:/dev/hda6"
in my lilo.conf....I mean...that must be a joke
In fact, with 2.4.22 kernel and linux-2.4.20-acpi2swsusp.patch plus
acpi-20031002-2.4.22.diff patches, everything works fine (not always
really). So....I don't know....is there a configuration in the suspend.sh
script I haven't done? Or what?

Sorry for the length, and thanks a lot for the help
	Alessandro