compaq presario 2135us display

Anyone know how to get woody up and going on a Compaq
2135us?  I tried but could only get to the keyboard
choice screen until I plugged in an external mouse.
After that I got all the way to log in but can only do
a command type login as X doesn't seem to recognize
the Radeon video card.  I am not too knowledgable with
command line stuff in Linux (as I am in DOS) so I
would like to use the X graphical environment with KDE
or Gnome.

I have SUSE 8.1 Pro running on the laptop now but I
want to get away from RPM based distros.

Thanks for any help,
Jeff