Re: 2.6, PCMCIA wireless cards

Hi Chris

Sorry I didn't get back sooner - work got in the way.

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 07:43:49AM -0800, Christopher Swingley wrote:
> I'm trying to get a PCMCIA wireless card to work under 2.6.0-test2.
> I've got a 3com OfficeConnect (3CRSHPW196) and a Zonet ZEW1000, both of
> which appear to use the Atmel chipset.

I have a 3Com 3CRWE62092B and have had some success under 2.6.0-test1.
I'm now running test2 (first boot) but havn't tried the card yet.

> I've built a 2.6 kernel with PCMCIA, PCMCIA_ATMEL (and the associated
> Kconfig options that seem reasonable) built-in (no modules).

I always build by PCMCIA devices as modules - but what the heck.

>                                                                Other
> PCMCIA devices such as an ethernet card (cardbus) and a modem card
> (non-cardbus) work with the setup I've got, so I think I have PCMCIA set
> up correctly.  I have also downloaded the atmel_firmware package and
> installed it with 'make install-hotplug'.  The Debian hotplug package is
> installed, and CONFIG_FW_LOADER is built into the kernel per the
> atmel_firmware README.

This looks like my configuration.

> No luck.  When I insert the Zonet ZEW1000 card I get:
>
>     cardmgr[254]: unsupported card in socket 0
>     kernel: cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.
>     cardmgr[254]:   product info: "ATMEL", "AT76C502AR_D"
>     cardmgr[254]:   function: 6 (network)
>
> and that's it.  When I insert the 3com OfficeConnect card I get:
>
>     cardmgr[254]: unsupported card in socket 0
>     cardmgr[254]:   product info: "3Com",
>         "3CRSHPW_96 Wireless LAN PC Card"
>     cardmgr[254]:   manfid: 0x0101, 0x0696  function 6 (network)
>
> No messages appear in the system or kernel logs from the hotplug system
> neither on boot, nor when I insert / remove these cards.

Have you installed the atmel.conf file in /etc/pcmcia?  It comes with
the atmelwlandriver (I think I used the CVS version I pulled rather than
the package).  In my version there is the following entry that should
recognise your card and link it with the driver:

  card "3Com 3CRSHPW_96 Wireless LAN PC Card"
    manfid 0x0101, 0x696
    bind "pcmf502r3"

AFAIK as long as the pcmf502r3 is registered as a network driver
and you have an entry identifying the PCMCIA card then cardmgr will
load it when it is inserted.

Please let me know how you get on.  When I plug this card into my
Sony laptop it gets just a little unstable (can run for some days).
When I pull the card it gets very unstable and has not run for more
than an hour before the kernel crashes.  I'm trying to find out if
it is my laptop or the driver that is at fault here.  The laptop is
a stable if I use my old 3COM EtherLink XL LAN card.

Steve