2.6, PCMCIA wireless cards

Greetings!

I'm trying to get a PCMCIA wireless card to work under 2.6.0-test2.
I've got a 3com OfficeConnect (3CRSHPW196) and a Zonet ZEW1000, both of
which appear to use the Atmel chipset.

I've built a 2.6 kernel with PCMCIA, PCMCIA_ATMEL (and the associated
Kconfig options that seem reasonable) built-in (no modules).  Other
PCMCIA devices such as an ethernet card (cardbus) and a modem card
(non-cardbus) work with the setup I've got, so I think I have PCMCIA set
up correctly.  I have also downloaded the atmel_firmware package and
installed it with 'make install-hotplug'.  The Debian hotplug package is
installed, and CONFIG_FW_LOADER is built into the kernel per the
atmel_firmware README.

No luck.  When I insert the Zonet ZEW1000 card I get:

    cardmgr[254]: unsupported card in socket 0
    kernel: cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.
    cardmgr[254]:   product info: "ATMEL", "AT76C502AR_D"
    cardmgr[254]:   function: 6 (network)

and that's it.  When I insert the 3com OfficeConnect card I get:

    cardmgr[254]: unsupported card in socket 0
    cardmgr[254]:   product info: "3Com",
        "3CRSHPW_96 Wireless LAN PC Card"
    cardmgr[254]:   manfid: 0x0101, 0x0696  function 6 (network)

No messages appear in the system or kernel logs from the hotplug system
neither on boot, nor when I insert / remove these cards.

According the "The Drivers, the devices":

(http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/
    Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.html)

the 3com card ought to work with the Atmel driver, and given that
cardmgr identifies the Zonet card as an Atmel AT76C502AR_D makes me
think that this card should be supported by the Atmel driver too.

What am I missing?  Do I need to tweak the hotplug setup somehow for
Debian, or fiddle with the pcmcia-cs packages config files so it'll
recognize these cards?

Help!

Thanks,

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley          email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu
IARC -- Frontier Program         Please use encryption.  GPG key at: