Re: laptop newbie pcmcia nightmare

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 04:35:34PM +0100, Ant Ken wrote:
> hi,
>
> my goal is to get a fully working version of linux on my old pentium 75
> laptop it has no cdrom drive just floppy pcmcia and irda
> i have managed to get debain onto the laptop but now i cannot get it to use
> the pcmcia network card (3com 3c589) to talk to the network Plus to make it
> worse i have lost the install screen.
>
> my first question is this:
> how do i get the system to see the 3com card?

First we need to know if it can spot the pcmcia bridge.  lspci should probably
reveal it.  Most bridges are quite frankly intel i82365 clones (though now
there are "flavors" even of that, your box is too old to worry about that)
but there are also TCIC.

There are two unsupported bridges I know of too.  One of them is found in the i
HP Omnibook 600.  If you have that one I'm sorry to say you're out of luck.

...once you can convince it to spot that, then inserting cards should get you
two beeps - one for recognizing the card is present, a second for whether it
setup properly.  Thus usual failures at this second stage go (high beep) (low)
meaning "yes there's a card" "no idea what it is/wrong driver picked though."

So - do you get beeps when you insert the card?

> second question:
> i have a home network, with a router dns server etc ( overkill i know, but
> its fun! )
> how do i configure the networking side of things?

There's considerable notes on this sort of thing in The Linux Documentation
Project (http://www.tldp.org/).  You could start with the Linux Gazette though
if you hate reading through FAQ documents (http://www.linuxgazette.com).

The file you're most likely to want to tweak for pcmcia-network cards is
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts.

> third question:
> how do i get the install screen back so i can tell it i want to down load
> debain from the web and install it?

You can do downloading without the big white install screen.  The command
line form is apt-get.

So for instance
	apt-get install aptitude

can install a nice console mode GUI where yyou can mark things, remove things,
read descriptions of cool stuff, etc.

> thanks and i hope some one can help me!
> antken

Let us know how the network gets going.  Starting small and working towards
the rest one part at a time makes the road less daunting.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...