Re: Debian Sid

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 12:34:44PM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 03:04:02PM -0700, Jason Victor wrote:
> > Hi. I know this may be the wrong mailing list, but
> > it's the only one I'm subscribed to.
> >
> > I have a potato cd, and recently tried Mandrake 8. The
> > shiny new GNOME and Nautilus made me drool, and now
> > that I think I'm ready to put Debian back on, I want
> > that stuff! I saw it was only available in Sid. How
> > unstable will Sid be when I dist-upgrade to it? I know
> > X will break (that always happens) but what else
> > should I expect? Is it really hard?
> >

> I recently reinstalled with a new hard disk drive.  Started with a minimal
> potato install and then jumped straight to unstable from there.  You might
> have to keep your wits about you in getting package dependencies
> straightened out, but on the whole you shouldn't have to expect huge
> difficulties.  I find dselect does a better job of sorting out new
> dependencies than apt-get does. You might find you have to run both in turn
> one after the other to you converge to a "satisfied" system.
>
> Only one thing: there are a couple of standing issues with libc6 and
> libssl0.9.6 (wrt ssh) from instable.  You might want to get those from woody
> instead. But I think the problem with libc6 was a build problem though, so it
> shouldn't worry you as a user rather than a Debian developer.

The SSL and SSH stuff have been fixed. I agree with you unstable is pretty stable,
just sometimes you have to do a dpkg -i --force-overwrite every now and then.
Anyway, if something seems really broke or whatever #debian on irc.openprojects.net
usaully will have the answer on what to do about the fix, you just ask the apt bot
or someone in the channel, usually the topic will say what to do or how to ask apt
about the problem.

Although I suppose the smarter, less adventurous, type which go to #debian first
before upgrading to ensure they hold back anything that is severely broken, but eh
that's no fun :P. (I remember when a glibc upgrade broke everything and I couldn't
even install debian and get anything to work when dist-upgrading to unstable, those
were the days :P).

Dan
--
Daniel E Baumann       baumannd@msoe.edu
Web location:          http://www.msoe.edu/~baumannd

And if cynics ridicule freedom, ridicule community...if ``hard nosed
realists'' say that profit is the only ideal...just ignore them, and use
copyleft all the same.
      -- RMS