Re: Debian Sid

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 03:04:02PM -0700, Jason Victor wrote:
> Hi. I know this may be the wrong mailing list, but
> it's the only one I'm subscribed to.
>
> I have a potato cd, and recently tried Mandrake 8. The
> shiny new GNOME and Nautilus made me drool, and now
> that I think I'm ready to put Debian back on, I want
> that stuff! I saw it was only available in Sid. How
> unstable will Sid be when I dist-upgrade to it? I know
> X will break (that always happens) but what else
> should I expect? Is it really hard?

I recently reinstalled with a new hard disk drive.  Started with a minimal
potato install and then jumped straight to unstable from there.  You might
have to keep your wits about you in getting package dependencies
straightened out, but on the whole you shouldn't have to expect huge
difficulties.  I find dselect does a better job of sorting out new
dependencies than apt-get does. You might find you have to run both in turn
one after the other to you converge to a "satisfied" system.

Only one thing: there are a couple of standing issues with libc6 and
libssl0.9.6 (wrt ssh) from instable.  You might want to get those from woody
instead. But I think the problem with libc6 was a build problem though, so it
shouldn't worry you as a user rather than a Debian developer.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A