Re: Problem installing Potato on Inspiron8000

Hi,

> Sorry, the precompiled kernel was made for my laptop which has the
> Actiontec combo card. You have to recompile your own kernel, based
> on the kernel config file that was enclosed to the tarball. Just
> disable the incorrect Ethernet driver and enable yours.
> Best use make-kpkg to build the kernel so that you will get a deb!

I recompiled the kernel using your kernel config file (with the 3com
ethernet driver enabled and the etherpro disabled).
I recompiled it on another computer running Potato using the following
commands:
make-kpkg clean
su root
make-kpkg --revision=custom kernel_image

Then I installed the new kernel ant the patched pcmcias debs (included in
Dell.tgz) but at reboot, I get tons of:
depmod : unresolved symbol in /lib/modules/2.4.3/pcmcia/3c574.o
(one for each module listed in /lib/modules/2.4.3/pcmcia)

There are also a few
modprobe :modprobe : Can't locate module nls_ cp437.0

But the ethernet card works.

Is it because I didn't run : make modules ? Do I have to run : make modules
even if I use make-kpkg?

Thanks,
Emilien Arino